Friday, March 11, 2011

Bring them

I really wish I new how to get pictures on here using the iPad. That, my slow wifi, and my ugly background keep me away. But, I'm here now and tonight's Bible story with my boys is what bring me here.

But first, if you are looking for a children's Bible I totally and highly recommend 'The Jesus storybook Bible'. The illustrations are so cute and more importantly the writing is wonderful. It's easy for my boys to understand but really gets me thinking (not that it's different from the Bible, but the translating of it into stories kids can understand sometimes brings a new perspective for me.) Check it out at: www.jesusstorybookbible.com There are also free downloads on that site, but you can buy the Bible cheaper on Amazon.com

So, tonight the story was about Matthew 19:14.... which, most versions say the word suffer. Suffer the little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for such is the kingdom of God. So I've always took it to mean don't prevent kids from coming to God. But, in the Jesus storybook Bible it said (Jesus speaking here) 'bring the little ones to me'. I double check with the concordance (using the blueletterbible.com which also has a handy little app for the phone) and it sure does mean a lot more...along with 'not hindering', 'send forth' was also a meaning in the definition of the word.

So, if you're still with me, what I saw in the story tonight was...don't just allow your children to find God on their own. (dont wait for them to talk to you about Him. Don't leave it up to church on Sunday.) But, go a step farther and BRING them to Jesus. (be the one to initiate little converstaions about God with your kids on a daily basis. Pray with them, at meal time, before bed, when they get hurt, etc.) It just really got me thinking. Every day I tell my boys that Jesus loves and involve the Lord in our lives. But, I'm taking what I've learned tonight as a reminder (and maybe some days a challenge) to make sure I'm doing all I can to bring them to the One who made them :)

Also, I just found a neat website, it's like an interactive online Bible; www.essex1.com/people/Paul/bible.HTML


P.s. This took a long time to type. First typing of it disappeared when I tried to use my Bible app. I've got a cute story to share about Ben...but I'll save it for tomorrow :)